Engraved in NRA marble, the words,” The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed,” ignoring the crucial dependent clause of the Second Amendment: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,…” Without this clause, the Amendment is meaningless.
(1) The Militia needs to be “well regulated.”
(2) Any person (usually a male) will be deemed to be automatically enrolled in a State Militia. These members will be issued badges and be considered part of a local platoon, company, or battalion, in their areas of abode. If they will only bear arms either coming from or going to scheduled exercises, if not, they should be punished, “as a court martial may direct.”
(3) Any American can opt out of the militia, but if he (she) ever again owns a firearm, then that person will be considered to have re-enlisted in the Militia.
(4) Because the Constitution specifically requires that the Militia be “well regulated,” regular training, as anyone with military training or experience can attest it is necessary in the management of arms. We’re talking Saturday close order drill, foxholes, trenches, latrines, and bivouac. Liquor will be especially prohibited.
(5) The purpose of the Militia, as laid out in the Constitution, is to protect “the security of a free state.” So the next time “Old Glory” is threatened by the likes of Grenada, Panama, or The Peoples Republic of Berkeley – pack your gear.